lemonchili 47

Noob (15)
Oct 17, 2012
10:02 pm

Hi there Smile I've been lurking around for a few months and figured it was time to introduce myself. I've had an old Mongoose Wing for about 8 or 9 years but only in the last few months have I finally got serious about it, riding once or twice a week locally (Sandgate) before work. I finally went exploring Bunyaville about a month ago and I'm hooked, I've been back every weekend since. I've been reading a little on technique (Lee McCormacks "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills") and modifying my old bike on the cheap while I contemplate a new ride. So if you see a slow guy at Bunyaville with a black Ford F100 and a black/blue Mongoose, that's me Smile

The trails at Bunyaville are the kind of riding I like to do, and it's close to home, I can see me riding there a lot, so my next bike will be for there primarily. My question is what do you folks find suitable for riding there? In particular what sort of suspension travel - 100/120/140? 26 vs 29? I've noticed quite a few people on Giant Trances, though maybe some were Anthems, and not a lot of hard tails. I know you can ride anything anywhere, but thoughts and opinions would be helpful.

I'd like something like a Merida One-Forty or a Trance next, but the budget is tight (non-existent!) so keeping an eye on what I can find used, and maybe 120 or 100mm is all I need. I've only briefly ridden a 29 in a car park and so far prefer the feel of 26's.

void 42

Knob Scrubber (357)
Oct 18, 2012
05:53 am

Ride what ever you want, you will find people at Bunya riding anything from this 26ers or 29ers to full on downhill bikes. Personally I enjoy my giant XTC 29er hardtail

nz_geo 42

Noob (23)
Oct 18, 2012
06:36 am

Hi Lemonchili,

Great to hear you are into mountainbiking - we are too!

I rode a full-suspension XC 26" for the last 4 years (Giant Anthem 1 200Cool. It was a great bike and served me well for those years riding the trails around Brisbane and entering in the odd XC event.

As time went by, my riding style developed and I realised that the way I liked to ride had outgrown my XC bike.

Recently, I have bought a new bike so the research is still fresh in my mind. For me, I think you could consider what style of riding you do/want to do/think you will be doing. Generalised categories are:

1. XC - less travel, steeper geometry, tend to be lighter
  2. Trail - more travel, slacker geometry, bit heavier than XC
  3. All-Mountain - even more travel, slacker geometry, bit heavier than Trail
  4. Downhill - even more travel, slacker geometry, bit heavier than AM

For the weekend warrior riding the local trails (and intending to ride up the hills as well as down them) I suggest you are choosing between XC and Trail. If you are an endurance kind of guy, then go for XC. If you are the trail-ripping type, then go for Trail.

Suspension

I think full suspension is the way to go unless you are a competitive XC racer. (There are always rebels out there that choose hardtails - personally I can't understand why - mountainbiking is more enjoyable on a full suspension bike, period.)

Wheel size

My new bike is a 29er. Overall the bigger wheels are better. On tight technical trails, I find I the maneuverability more difficult - but I am forever converted to 29" wheels.

There are some great value second-hand bikes out there. Good luck and post up again if you have a shortlist.

petermac

Noob (26)
Oct 18, 2012
08:03 am

Hi Lemonchilli

I am relatively new to the mountain biking scene (and riding generally for that matter). A mate took me fora ride at Bunya about 6 months ago and like you, I too have become hooked.

I think everything Nz_geo said is on the mark. I bought a Specialized Camber Elite 29er for my first bike - dual suspension. I had done some research and read an article where the author said that he had trouble trying to think of a situation where he wouldn't recommend a 29er, particularly to a beginner given the larger wheel diameter and associated propensity to roll over obstacles.

But after I bought the bike and started riding regularly I noticed that the majority of bikes on the trail are 26ers. I started thinking that I'd stuffed up, and then read some more articles and forum posts where people were saying that 26ers are lighter and more manouvorable than 29ers.

I ride with a couple of guys who are far better then me - many years riding experience and go like the clappers. One of these guys used to have a hard tail 29er for XC racing and a full suspension 26er for riding singletrack. This reinforced my view that 26ers were just better on singletrack, with 29ers better suited to XC. But last week he upgraded both bikes and now has a hard tail 29er for racing and a FS 29er for riding singletrack. When I spoke to him about it, he just said that the 29ers will take more abuse and just plough through everything, whilst still being fun getting airbourne and hammering downhill.

I think the fact that there are alot of 26ers out there is a legacy of the fact that mainstream production of 29ers has really only taken off in the last few years. Some guys don't want to change, and others haven't upgraded their bikes for a while.

The only conclusion that I've come to is that there is no definitive answer on the 26er v 29er debate - it's a preference thing. For my money it has to be 29ers, but there are plenty of people on this forum that will disagree with me. The best advice I can give you is once you've made a decision and buy a new bike, forget the debate about wheel size and ride what you bought into the ground.

JDB

Gumby (78)
Oct 18, 2012
09:39 am

Don't listen to these guys. For Bunnyaville, in fact 90% of the trails around Brisbane a fully rigid single speed 29er is perfect. Will make you a better rider quicker, as you have to actually learn to pick your lines, ride the terrain and use your body to absorb the bumps. It also means that the some of the flatter tracks can actually be fun and challenging to ride. Single speed will get you fit quickly, and is great for sub 2 hour blasts around town. Also far less maintenace required, and nice and cheap too.

I have a 29er rigid that I ride all the time, a 6" travel 26er that sits at home or gets used as a loner bike, and am looking at a full suspension 29er for endurance racing next season.

nz_geo 42

Noob (23)
Oct 18, 2012
10:29 am

Quote: JDB

Don't listen to these guys. For Bunnyaville, in fact 90% of the trails around Brisbane a fully rigid single speed 29er is perfect. Will make you a better rider quicker, as you have to actually learn to pick your lines, ride the terrain and use your body to absorb the bumps. It also means that the some of the flatter tracks can actually be fun and challenging to ride. Single speed will get you fit quickly, and is great for sub 2 hour blasts around town. Also far less maintenace required, and nice and cheap too.

I have a 29er rigid that I ride all the time, a 6" travel 26er that sits at home or gets used as a loner bike, and am looking at a full suspension 29er for endurance racing next season.

hahahahahahah thats funny

09chuckles

you are joking...right?

westy82

Dirt Squirt (165)
Oct 18, 2012
10:42 am

Quote: JDB

Well that REALLY depends on what you're trying to do. Yes, a rigid single speed bike will help you improve your technique and strength. Yes, a rigid single speed bike is a good option for those looking for a new challenge. But for MOST trail riders in Brisbane, a light-ish dual suspension bike with short-ish travel will provide the most enjoyable riding experience.

Neilius 56

Grim Ripper (1747)
System manager
Oct 18, 2012
10:54 am

Quote: void

Ride what ever you want, you will find people at Bunya riding anything from this 26ers or 29ers to full on downhill bikes. Personally I enjoy my giant XTC 29er hardtail

In the good old days, the Bunyaville Bogeyman rode a dragster around Bunyaville. I wonder if we took up a collection, could we get him to come for a ride at the BSAC for old times sake?

Me and my bling

Hungry Stu 47

Mad Skillz (576)
Oct 18, 2012
12:07 pm

29'er full sus and your back will lover you forever

Mikus666 668

Mad Skillz (575)
Oct 18, 2012
12:14 pm

Quote: Neilius

In the good old days, the Bunyaville Bogeyman rode a dragster around Bunyaville. I wonder if we took up a collection, could we get him to come for a ride at the BSAC for old times sake?

Me and my bling

But then he mysteriously upgraded to an Iron Horse at one stage??

Mikus666 668

Mad Skillz (575)
Oct 18, 2012
12:19 pm

Lemonchilli,

I spent my frst 3 years riding Bunya on a 80mm travel 26 hardtail and thought it was the best fun. These days I am lucky enough to have both a 26 and 29 dualie. I've found the dualies more comfortable for my back as I have gotten older. Both have their pluses and minus, so get what ever you can afford. An XC bike will be suffient for Bunya, but all mountain might be an option when you start to explore other SEQ areas.

Enjoy!!

lemonchili 47

Noob (15)
Oct 18, 2012
04:36 pm

Love the dragster! That would've been a challenge!

Thanks all. I know they were pretty general kind of questions, but I was looking for opinions/preferences and what other people are riding to see if I'm on the right track.

"...I think you could consider what style of riding you do/want to do/think you will be doing"

• The riding I do - Try to get from one end of the trail to the other without breaking anything (bike or me) or my heart popping out of my chest!
  • The riding I want to do - I'd like to get to the point in the next year where I can conquer/enjoy some moderate drop offs at a reasonable pace, say 1 to 2 feet, or maybe that's ambitious? I'd also like to be able get over some decent obstacles going uphill, so I guess that's somewhere between trail and all mountain? It would be nice to try some freeride style jumps but really I don't know if I have the confidence to try...
  • The riding I think I will be doing - Keep riding Bunyaville (try to conquer Wayne's World one day), maybe tag along on the Sunday Arvo ride one day soon, try some other places early next year.

So with the above in mind, plus the fact I like to tinker with suspension and I prefer 26" for now, combined with the comments above I think that means a 120mm or a 140mm bike would be enjoyable climbing and descending, though it might be a while before I really take use 140mm of travel. I.e. something between a trail and an AM bike.

The budget would prefer something used - any suggestions on where to look? I've been keeping an eye on ebay, the for sale section here and on rotorburn. If I can find something under $1000 I'd be pretty happy, and if it turns out to be the wrong thing for me I could sell it again and try something else.

If I can't find something used... Norco Fluid 3.0 or LX, Merida One-Twenty 500D or One-Forty 900D, GT Sensor 4.0 all seem to be best bang for buck if you hunt around for a good deal. If I buy new I better make sure it gets ridden and doesn't sit in the garage or my other half will kill me!

coaster 510

Mad Skillz (936)
Oct 18, 2012
05:24 pm

Quote: lemonchili

.If I can't find something used... Norco Fluid 3.0 or LX, Merida One-Twenty 500D or One-Forty 900D, GT Sensor 4.0 all seem to be best bang for buck if you hunt around for a good deal. If I buy new I better make sure it gets ridden and doesn't sit in the garage or my other half will kill me!

Right idea, - http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/list?search%5BisBike%5D=1&rnd=20100715&search%5BnewOrUsed%5D=0&search%5BbikeType%5D=138&search%5Bpa_type_id%5D=-1&search%5BbikeMake%5D=-1&search%5Bsize_id%5D=-1&search%5Bsize2_id%5D=-1&search%5Bgender_index%5D=-1&search%5BmaxAmt%5D=0&search%5BminAmt%5D=0&search%5Bstate%5D=&search%5Bpc_dist%5D=25&search%5Bpostcode%5D=4036&search%5Bq%5D=&search%5BorderBy%5D=0&search%5Bflag_not_womens%5D=1 not muuch value here atm. There are some very good new 2011/12 bikes for around $2000 if a good used doesn't come up and no worries about warranty. http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/list?search%5BisBike%5D=1&rnd=20100715&search%5BnewOrUsed%5D=1&search%5BbikeType%5D=138&search%5Bpa_type_id%5D=-1&search%5BbikeMake%5D=-1&search%5Bsize_id%5D=-1&search%5Bsize2_id%5D=-1&search%5Bgender_index%5D=-1&search%5BmaxAmt%5D=2000&search%5BminAmt%5D=1500&search%5Bstate%5D=&search%5Bpc_dist%5D=25&search%5Bpostcode%5D=4036&search%5Bq%5D=&search%5BorderBy%5D=0&search%5Bflag_not_womens%5D=1

✎ Oct 18, 2012 05:26 pm  

lemonchili 47

Noob (15)
Oct 18, 2012
10:01 pm

Yeah, there's not much used stuff around at the low end right now. I guess I could put up a WTB post.

My timing is bad for clearance models, from the calls I've made a lot of the cheaper clearance bikes on Bikeexchange have already gone, but the website hasn't been updated (a couple of stores I spoke to were not happy about it!). There were some 2011 GT Sensor 4.0's for $1199, but all gone now icon_sad
I'll make some more calls though, who knows what might turn up icon_cool

✎ Oct 18, 2012 10:08 pm  

void 42

Knob Scrubber (357)
Oct 18, 2012
11:00 pm

With regards to the Sunday arvo cruise, just rock up and join in.. You will not be left behind. As for Wayne's world... Not sure that it matters if you are on a ht or fs.. Just give to a go and you may surprise yourself.. Select the right gear at the start and go for it.

snafu

Dirt Squirt (124)
Oct 20, 2012
08:12 pm

Dont buy a 29er til youve ridden a 650b - theyre the sweet spot wheel size between 29ers and 26ers. And dont listen to anyone who says yo have to have a full suspension bike. Get your skills up with a hardtail - and then get a FS. Couple of years later youll sell it and buy a hardtail again.

lemonchili 47

Noob (15)
Oct 21, 2012
05:09 pm

Hardtails just don't appeal to me at the moment, but I understand what you're saying.

Found a good deal on a new Norco Fluid LX which is a maybe if I want to spend that much, but also found out about an older Giant Reign which is much more budget friendly.

I should be able to make it to the sunday arvo ride weekend after next Smile

lemonchili 47

Noob (15)
Oct 23, 2012
09:47 pm

Oh dear, what have I done... ordered a Polygon Collosus AX3.0 yesterday Smile

I know info on Polygon's is a little thin, but I couldn't find a bad review from actual owners. It's kind of a bit more bike than I wanted, but at $1500 for a 2010 model it was too hard to resist so I took a punt. I'm hoping it arrives by the weekend. Time I bought some knee pads I think...

nz_geo 42

Noob (23)
Oct 24, 2012
05:59 am

Exciting mate. Have fun!

Lozz

Noob (5)
Dec 06, 2018
07:41 pm

how is the Polygon bike going down the track was it a good choice?